Amanita Muscaria?

This is the place to discuss shrooms of all types, how they are grown, their properties, etc.
freeagent

Amanita Muscaria? -

Post by freeagent » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Can someone confirm for me this is an amanita muscaria? It was found in the eastern US. If so would a little button like this have any psychotropic effects if someone dried and consumed?
Attachments
att4475-0715011734.jpg
att4475-0715011734.jpg (88 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
Last edited by MindGarden on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

flickedbic

Re: Amanita Muscaria? -

Post by flickedbic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:41 pm

It certainly looks like one... I don't see a skirt however... is that being hidden by the cap?

The Siberian shamans would eat the mushroom and then drink and re-drink their urine for good effects... better even than simply eating more mushrooms.

A common dosage might be two mushrooms, but I imagine a shaman would feel one (even a small dried one) if he ritually consumed it.

One thing to consider is that muscimol may be potentiated by *** also "datura (and other tropane containing plant) is a potentiator of muscimol AND an antidote to muscarine poisonning." - Romanesco of another forum
5-10 Datura seeds or around 100mg Belladonna leaves are some examples of syndergistic dosages.

Amanita is also said by some to have synergy with cacti, ***, and salvia...
Last edited by cowfodder on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed references to stuff we don't talk about
All readable matter in the above post is ficticious.

Any similarities to real life are purely coincidental.

Without prejudice.

freeagent

Post by freeagent » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks for the response.

There is no skirt which is what made me question whether it was one. Do they always have skirts?

flickedbic

Post by flickedbic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:17 pm

It is my understanding that the skirt is from the veil breaking off of the cap at sporulation. Looks like you may have simply found your friend at an early stage of life. That's okay... they are still of good spirit at a young age. I'm sorry I can't tell you for 100%.

Does the cap leave a white spore-print on black construction paper?

EDIT: (Mature) Amanitas do have a skirt most all the time that remains for the lifecycle of the fruit-body. Also we can see in your picture, the bulbous stem that is looking something like buddhas head.

Blessings.
Last edited by flickedbic on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Without prejudice.

Chaotechnic

Post by Chaotechnic » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Looks like Amanita parcivolvata to me. At any rate, I'm pretty confident that it's not A. muscaria. I don't see the pendant annulus, but it looks young enough that the veil probably hasn't broken yet. More concerning is the fact that the fuzzy rings at the base of the stipe aren't clearly visible, nor does the base appear to be particularly bulbous. Another warning sign is the color of the cap. Fly agarics in the eastern US are almost never that shade of red. The main variety on the east coast is A. muscaria var. guessowii which is a yellowish shade of orange. The other east coast variety, A. muscaria var. persicina is more of a peach color.
Last edited by Chaotechnic on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

freeagent

Post by freeagent » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:10 pm

Great, thanks for your help. I had not seen pictures of that particular species. But I had read that fly agarics in the eastern US were not the traditional red.

Ant

Post by Ant » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:56 pm

Stephen L. Peele

Post by Stephen L. Peele » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Does not look like Amanita muscaria, any variation, to me. Amanita muscaria usually appear just about the time of the first frost. Most fruit under pine trees. Here on the gulf coast, they appear the end of November to the first part of December. As you go north, the appearance is earlier. Never consume any mushroom you have not ID'd. slp/fmrc

Ant

Post by Ant » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:09 pm

flickedbic

Post by flickedbic » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:41 pm

Pretty.

Do you have any images of the stem?

Without prejudice.