Hallucinogenic pouch fungus

This is the place to discuss shrooms of all types, how they are grown, their properties, etc.
Workman

Hallucinogenic pouch fungus -

Post by Workman » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:43 pm

Wow, I can't believe my account here is still active.

Anyway, just thought I'd add a little info that has me pretty excited. I've recently been working with the New Zealand species; Weraroa novaezelandiae, which is a bluing, and newly realized, hallucinogenic fungus. It was first described in the 1924 and later realized to be closely related to Psilocybes. But noone seems to have noticed that it was Psilocybin active until recently. Probably because of its remote location and weird appearance. Rolf Singer speculates that Weraroa might be ancestral to all Psilocybes.

It can be cultivated with exactly the same outdoor methods as used for Psilocybe azurescens, P. cyanescens and other temperate woodlovers.

Here is a recent composite of micro and macroscopic features of North American outdoor grown specimens. Perhaps a mycological first.
Attachments
att0879-Weraroa_novaezelandiae_microscopy.jpg
att0879-Weraroa_novaezelandiae_microscopy.jpg (111.91 KiB) Viewed 333 times

Enlighten me

Re: Hallucinogenic pouch fungus -

Post by Enlighten me » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:50 am

Interesting, if you have a good link for more info on this species feel free to post it. :)

Crucial

Post by Crucial » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:03 am

feel free? dude...

dare I say you will surely gain a rapt audience.

Thanks indeed! Amazing!....

dial8

Post by dial8 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:35 pm

You know I'm digging this, workman! Very nice! Have you successfully fruited indoors? Typical/standard spawn? How does the potency match up to the other wood lovers?

Anima

Post by Anima » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:42 pm

Fascinating to say the least.

More info please!!!

Burning_Copal
Location: a finite mortal body somewhere in PNW. How about you ?

Post by Burning_Copal » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:14 pm

This is very interesting, deffinatly looking forward to any follow up.

Dave Cactus

Post by Dave Cactus » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:24 pm

Workman wrote: I've recently been working with the New Zealand species; Weraroa novaezelandiae, which is a bluing, and newly realized, hallucinogenic fungus.
A new hallucinogenic fungus, what can i say? :clap: BRILLIANT. I wonder how many more are yet to be discovered?

Stephen L. Peele

Post by Stephen L. Peele » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:39 am

Workman..........If you would like, you may submit an article on this for publication in "TEONANACATL", The International Journal of Psychoactive Mushrooms (TEO). To review an Issue:
http://www.mushroomsfmrc.com/teo_journal.html
With all articles that are published, a free one year's subscription.
To send said article:
[url=mailto:FloridaMycology@cs.com]FloridaMycology@cs.com[/url]
Its been many years myself since reading about this one. I once had a culture that produced hard glass-like sclerotia that I thought may have been Weraroa novaezelandiae. Didn't notice any mentioning of sclerotia by you, so it may not have been. Did not see any did you? But at the time, the DEA was destroying Psilocybe cultures at our Nation's Culture Bank. They knew I had more of this type than the NCB (ATCC), so I figured they would be coming to me next. It was at that time I shipped all said type cultures out of this country, including Psilocybe tampanensis. By the way, at that time there were only 5 known people in the world who still held on to this Dr. Pollock's one time find. I was told that even Paul Stamets had lost the culture he had. It was I who gave it to the world when I deposited it at the CBS in The Netherlands. Their Catalog documents this. That particular culture was sent to Germany, and was never heard of again. So, I wasn't able to complete a lot of work I had wanted to. In any case, glad to see it mentioned again, and good job. I have added 2 "attaboys" to your file card...........grin. Stephen L. Peele, Curator FMRC slp/fmrc

Mjshroomer

Post by Mjshroomer » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:00 am

Steve, now P. tampanensis is known of from Mississippi, Florida and Louisianna

mj

Workman

Post by Workman » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:33 pm

I'll try to update this post in the near future. I haven't attempted an indoor fruiting yet, but I do plan to. I'll consider submitting an article for the FMRC, but I will have to discuss that with my associates first. I have recieved photocopies of most of the relevant taxonomic papers and journal articles from the library as well as coorespondace with NZ researchers that have a pending publication on this species.

I have succeeded in extracting and purifying the spores from the pouches with a centerfuge. These mushrooms cannot be spore printed for obvious reasons.

No sclerotia was observed.